When I was in I.T Sales it was always the smug thing to get hold of the
"Business" plan/strategy, because, "The Business Plan drives the I.T
Strategy." Bullshit I say!
I want to work with people and companies where the Technology drives the strategy, where companies are intercepting what's going to be happening with technology say in 2-5 years time, and building a business around that.
I want to work with people who are excited by technology, and how it
can best be used by users and organisations. I want to work with
companies who are open to trying new things, not for the sake of it,
but because it will improve their business, and contact with their
What I do know is....
1. Weblogs and RSS are massive and will continue to grow and benefit those who use them. Internal company weblogs for dissemination of information and feedback, and company weblogs that communicate both ways with clients, are one of the big technology growth areas.
2. Mobiles and PDAs are technologies looking for more content and applications.
3. I still think that group chat inside organisations is great way to maximise and bond a working group.
4. Video at some point will have massive growth, and it's only bandwidth restriction holding it back, so anyone who can shoot and edit videos, creatives in the video medium, training companies using video, will have massive success at some point!! But......we expect the quality of 50 years of the TV and advertising evolution, so video had better be of good quality.
5. Viral is the way forward. See Tipping Point.
6. Social Networking via current tools. Forget it.
7. Podcasting. Not sure, probably not, but there's is room and a need for it.
8. Search engines have a long way to go and are totally inconsistent. If one guy in a room can produce as good a search engine as anyone, then there is something not quite right. See Gigablast.
9. The 2004 Presidential election has shown us the way forward, where we are currently (not very far!), what is possible (Howard Dean coming from nowhere, and going back there again!!), moveon.org, meetup.com.
10. Possibility and the way forward. See Robert Scoble.