To quote Scott Adams, and the byline for my weblog, "All People are Idiots."
Now I have the proof (via Johnnie Moore).
We as humans have varying degrees of cognitive bias, which explains a lot, when dealing with fellow humans and my own cognitive biases.
- We base our views on limited proof
- We justify our biases with limited proof
- We act like sheep
- We predict based on over focus of one event
- We want short term gain and satisfaction
- We tend to disregard probability
- We bias towards what is memorable rather than what is best (and make the memorable the best!)
We've come a long way, just a few more thousand years of evolution my sort it out.
But if we took our cognitive biases away, then we wouldn't have humour would we, and we'd by like Spock (well half of Spock anyway).